Puranen, Bi (Agda Britt-Inger)
S-111 40 Stockholm
1974 to Åke Puranen, civil forest officer,
1986 to Peter Welander, producer, the Swedish Radio & TV-broadcast
February 4th 1951 in Sävar, Sweden
Anders Axel born 1977
Frej Are Marcellinus born 1990
Nike Norea Zoë born 1992
of Arts, Umeå University, Sweden
of Philosophy, Umeå University. Sweden.
Thesis: TUBERCULOSIS. Occurrence and Causes in Sweden 1750-1980.
Professor, Stockholm University
History, London School of Economics & South East Asian Institute,
processing, Computer Machinery Company (CMC), Stockholm
Cohort Analysis, biological factors, advanced research fellowship,
and anthropology, Uppsala University
Methods, Mathematical Models in Demography, Lund University, Sweden
programme for programme leaders, the Swedish Radio & TV-broadcast
et le Déclin de la Mortalité, Union Internationale pour
l'Étude Scientifique de la Population, Annecy, France
Electronic Courses", Foundation of Knowledge and Competence
Development in cooperation with the department of Applied Electronics
at Chalmers University in Gothenburg, Sweden and William Horton
Consulting, Inc. in Colorado, USA.
Assistant at the Emigration project, department of History, Uppsala
upper level of compulsory school, Storuman
Lecturer in Economic history and literacy, Umeå University
Executive Officer of the Demographic Database, National Archives
Manager, Swedish Institute for Health Economics, Lund
Research Archives for Modern Media, Umeå University
Director, the Swedish Management Group, Stockholm
Director/Researcher, Institute for Futures Studies, Stockholm
of Future Studies & Communications Strategies, core faculty member
at Theseus International Management Institute, Sophia Antipolis, France
||Research director, Frontplaces SARL, Sophia Antipolis, France
||Research director, Bikupan Research, Stockholm Sweden
Lecturer, Umeå University
Reference Group on Computer Networks and Information Technology
Lecturer, Umeå University
on organization medicine and tuberculosis, King Oscar II's Jubilee
of the Board of Contrapunkt, a research foundation on drugs
of the Women's Foundation, Stockholm
of the Academy of Risk Assessment
of the Board of the Swedish Board for Higher Education in Journalism
of the Reference Group on Women's Health, National Institute of Public
of the Policy and Advisory Group, National Institute of Public Health
Expert, the IT-Committee on Sweden's Cultural Network, Ministry of
Research Fellow at the Institute of South-East Asian Studies (ISEAS),
of the Steering Committee of CultureNet Sweden
of the Board of the National Archives of Sweden
Secretary General, World Values Survey Association and member of the Executive Committee
||Secretary General, World Values Survey Association, member of the Executive Committee
||Member of the Board at the University College of Arts, Crafts and Design.
Research & Implementation (change management)
Treasury Management, Sophia Antipolis, France
Road Administration (Vägverket), Sweden
National Labour Market Administration (Arbetsmarknadsverket), Sweden
Armed Forces (Försvarsmakten)
and multimedia productions:
& Health" Script, synopsis and participation in the film.
The film won 3rd prize in the Guldklappan Contest for best information
New Power - a Glimpse of the Nineties". Script, synopsis and
participation in the film. The film won 1st prize in the Cinewatt
Contest in the "Corporate Image" class.
multimedia material, "The Nineties Report ".
production, CultureNet Sweden (together with Oskar Hjelmstam and Peter
material; see www.bikupan.se, continously updated (together with Oskar
Hjelmstam, Peter Welander and Åsa Olsson).
nineties report". Young peoples views about the future. Script,
synopsis and participation in the film.
Antipolis. Script, synopsis and participation in the film, (together
with Oskar Hjelmstam and Peter Welander).
& Youth, for the Swedish Road Adm Script, synopsis and participation
in the film, (together with Oskar Hjelmstam and Peter Welander)
||”The Values of the Swedish Armed Forces”, Försvarsmaktens värdegrund
||Short films on specific topics, Swedish Armed Forces: (in Swedish)
- ”The very best day at my work – the Swedish Armed Forces”, (Den bästa dagen)
- ”Why change job?” (Byta jobb?)
- ”Civilians and Officers in the Armed Forces”
- ”Peace-keeping versus peace-enforcements”
- ”Trust and Change”
- ”Competence development”
- ”The Transformation of the Swedish Armed Forces”
- ”Tolerance and Geopolotics”
- ”Visible leadership”
- ”The Headquarter of the Swedish Armed Forces”
- ”The Supreme Commander”
- ”Core Values: - Opennes –Results – Responsibility” (ÖRA)
- ”Q & As on how to measure values, (Vanliga frågor om hur man mäter MAU inom Försvarsmakten
||”Values as a Driving Force in the Swedish Army” (Värderingar som styrmedel inom Försvarsmakten)
||”The Importance of Values”, Nordic Battle Group and NoAM (Peter Welander & Jerker Nylén), in English
as a lecturer in some hundred national conferences and 20 international
conferences in the field of social change (health, environment, demography,
value patterns, future perspectives, women's issues and youth research).
Examples: Medicine and the Decline of Mortality, Société
de Demographie Historique, Annecy, August, 1988; 3rd Nordic Conference
on Health, Aalborg, Denmark, September 13-16, 1992; Black and Migrant
Women's Health in Europe, March 3-5, Bad Boll, Stuttgart, Germany; Symposium
on Labour Shortage, OECD, Paris, April, 1994; UN Conference on Population
and Development, Cairo, September, 1994; UN Conference on Poverty and
Development, March, 1995; Symposium on Social Exclusion, OECD, Paris,
May, 1995: the Kyoto Conference, Nov 30th to Dec 11th 1997.
an international symposium in Stockholm, March 13-15, 1994 on the theme
"Women's Health and Futures", which was attended by 800 women
from some ten countries. Organized workshops for the World Values Survey,
the Silent Revolution Stockholm, June 1998.
- Some 40
scientific papers presented at conferences and published about 30 reviews
in Swedish newspapers and magazines. Examples: Puranen, B., et al. "HIV/AIDS
- One of the Most Important Issues of the 90s for Women", Dagens
Nyheter, November 30, 1990 (Swedish); Puranen, B. and Nygren, Å.
"On Sick Leave", Svenska Dagbladet, August 8, 1990 (Swedish);
"Future Energy - Young People's Values", Dagens Nyheter, October
21, 1996 (Swedish); "Young Women and Men - Increasingly Alike",
Svenska Dagbladet, November 3, 1996 (Swedish).
editor of a scientific journal in the field of social medicine (Socialmedicinsk
as First Faculty Opponent at a public defence of a doctoral thesis,
Department of Preclinical Medicine, Oslo (Prof. Øivind Larsen).
as Special Expert to the Swedish Government on IT matters.
in some international networks on gender issues and futures perspectives.
Examples: Terra Femina (Brazil), Health Futures Network, Women's Health
Futures Network, the Healthcare Forum, the World Futures Society (European
section) and World Value Studies.
articles and scientific papers:
(Reports made for companies and authorities which are their property
is not listed see above on research and implementation, change management).
All the following literature is in Swedish unless otherwise specified.
1. "Emigration from Östersund and the Urban Area's Influence
on the Region." History Dept. Umeå University (unpublished),
2. "Population Trends and Migration, 1865-95." Dept. of
Economic history, Umeå University (unpublished), 1972.
3. "Immigration to Östersund. A Study of Methods." Dept. of Economic history, Umeå University (unpublished),
4. "Tornedalen - the Consequences of the Partitioning of a
River Valley", Dept. of Economic history, Umeå University
5. "The Role of Medicine in the Fight against Tuberculosis
and Smallpox during Two Centuries", Hjärta-Kärl-Lungor,
6. "Robert Koch, Centenary of a Notable Scientific Achievement",
Universitetsjournalen, no. 2, 1982.
7. "People and Places in the Sundsvall Region. A Concise Guide
to the Literature and Research on the Sundsvall Region." Demographic
database, Umeå University (unpublished), 1982.
8. "The Lessons of History in Medicine", Tvärsnitt,
no. 1, 1983.
9. "The Role of Medicine in the Fight against Tuberculosis
and Smallpox during Two Centuries", Trygd og Arbeid, National
Association of Heart and Lung Patients, no. 3, 1983.(Norwegian)
10. "Mortality and Causes of Death in Tuna Parish 1805-1894." Demographic database, Umeå University (unpublished), 1983.
11. "Victims of Consumption. Medelpad's Sawmill and Ironworks
Country." Demographic database, Umeå University. (unpublished),
12. "National Diseases", in Graniger, G., Tägil,
S. & Carlsson, S. (ed.), Vägar till nuet, Esselte studio,
13. "Tuberculosis as an Indicator of Changing Living Standards,
c. 1750-1900", Hjärta-Kärl-Lungor, no. 1, 1984.
Also published in:
14. "The Development of Living Standards in Sweden, Two Aspects",
Meddelanden från institutionen för ekonomisk historia,
no. 4, Umeå University, 1984.
15. "Three Years with AFFAS, research on the local history
of the Sundsvall region." Oknytt, no. 1-2, 1984.
16. "Life in a Sanatorium." Status, National Association
of Heart and Lung Patients, 10 (1984). Also published in next item,
17. Tuberculosis. Occurrence and Causes in Sweden 1750-1980 (doctoral
thesis, monography). Umeå Studies in Economic History, 7,
18. "Tuberculosis as a Metaphor", Hjärta-Kärl-Lungor,
no. 1 (1984). 1985.
Also published in:
19. "Tuberculosis as a Metaphor" Trygd og
Arbeid, no. 4, 1985. (Norwegian)
20. "The White Death - Not Only a Poor Man's Disease. On Consumption
in a Skåne Family." Historielärarnas föreningens
årsbok 1984/1985. 1985.
21. "Death in Tails and Gowns - Wasn't It Davos?" Status.
National Association of Heart and Lung Patients, no. 8, 1985.Also
22. "Death in Tails and Gowns - Wasn't It Davos?" Hjärta-Kärl-Lungor,
no. 1, 1985.
23. "AIDS in the Light of Medical History." RFHL:s drogpolitiska
tidskrift, no. 5, 1985.
24. "The Rise and Fall of Tuberculosis." IHE-information,
no. 3, 1985.
Also published in:
25. "The Rise and Fall of Tuberculosis." Svensk Farmaceutisk
Tidskrift, no. 14, 1985.
26. "The Rise and Fall of Tuberculosis." IHE-
Iformation, 1985. (English)
27. "The Diseases of the Age Are the Soul of the Age. A Changing
Disease Panorama in the Light of Medical History." OTTAR, RFSU
(Association for Sex Education) pocket book, no. 1, 1986.
28. "Stroke - Economic Consequences in Lund and Orup, a Health
Economic Analysis", in Stroke - Diagnosis and Treatment. MFR/SPRI,
29. "Fear Burning Like a Red-Hot Coal. AIDS and the
Interaction between Man, Environment and Disease in a Historical
Perspective", in Akilleshælen. A Study Book on AIDS and
Society, edited by Else Marie Sejer Larsen. Christian Ehlers, Copenhagen,
30. "A Long Day's Journey into Night, a Family's Struggle against
Consumption and Morphine Abuse." A commentary on the National
Touring Theatre's production of Eugene O'Neill's play. National
Touring Theatre, 1986.
31. Direct Costs of Stroke for a Swedish Population. IHE
(Institute for Health Care Economics) and the Neurological Department,
Lund University (authors: Bi Puranen, Bo Norrving, Gun Jadbäck,
Raymunda Silverberg, Ulf Persson, Björn Lindgren and Barbro
Johansson), 1987. (English)
32. "Via Dolorosa." The History of Epidemics.
LIV. Helse- og sosialmagasin. Oslo no. 1, 1987. (Norwegian)
33. "Syphilis and Tuberculosis - Historical Comparisons." AIDS. Notions of Reality, Benny Henriksson (ed.). Glacio, 1987.
34. "Risks and Roots. A Historical Perspective on Sexuality
and Risk Assessment", Socialmedicinsk tidskrift, no. 5-6, 1987.
35. In Love with Life. A Book on Tuberculosis in Art and Literataure
(with Tore Zetterholm). Wikens, 1987.
36. "La Tuberculose et le Déclin de la Mortalité
en Suède", Annales de Demographie Historique, Société
de Demographie Historique, E.H.E.S.S., Paris, 1989. (French)
37. "Direct Costs of Stroke for a Swedish Population" (Persson et al.), International Journal of Technology Assessment
in Health Care, Vol. 6:1, 1990. (English)
38. "Only Dead Fish Swim with the Tide - A Life Cycle Perspective
on Health", Framtider, no. 1, Institute for Futures Studies,
39. "The Impact of Environmental Factors on Health - a multidisciplinary
study focusing on the importance of the work environment",
project description, Institute for Futures Studies (unpublished),
40. "Tuberculosis and the Decline of Mortality in
Sweden" in R. Schofield et al. (eds.), The Decline of Mortality
in Europe, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1991. (English)
41. "Housing and Health - Past, Present and Future" in
Håkansson, P.A. & Nyström, L. (ed.), Life Environments.
On Housing, Social Life and Mental Health, Allmänna förlaget,
42. "Is Women's Ill-health Due to Their Double Workload?",
Socialmedicinsk tidskrift, no. 7-8, 1991.
43. "The Vikings' Strength - Our Weakness?" Framtider,
no. 2, Institute for Futures Studies, 1991.
44. "Plague, Cholera and TBC - the Diseases of the Future?" Framtider, no. 4, Institute for Futures Studies, 1991.
45. "From Hominid to Modern Man" in B. Evengård
(ed.), The History and Future of Epidemics, Natur och Kultur, 1992.
46. Tuberculosis. "La Belle Dame sans Merci" in B. Evengård
(ed.), The History and Future of Epidemics, Natur och Kultur, 1992.
47. "The Life Cycle and Women's Health. Women's Perspectives
on the Concept of Health" in Ebb and Flow. Changes, Hopes and
Futures. The Women's Forum Foundation, Stockholm, 1992.
48. "The Historical Future of Public Health" in Rapport fra 3. Nordiske Konference om Sundhetsfremme, Aalborg,
Denmark, September 13-16, 1992. (Danish)
49. "Are Women Really Sicker Than Men?" in Backlash in
Sweden? The Women's Tribunal 1993, Norstedts, 1993.
50. "Women's Health and Futures, a Backlash?",
report on Black and Migrant Women's Health in Europe, a Conference
held at Bernhaser Forst, Stuttgart, March 3–5, 1993. (English)
51. "King Oscar II's Jubilee Fund and the Fight against Tuberculosis" (with Dr. Lars Andér), published as a supplement to Medicinhistorisk
årsbok, suppl. XIV, 1994.
52. Being a Woman Is Not a Disease, monography, Norstedts, 1994.
53. "Being a Woman Is Not a Disease", Framtider
International 1994, Institute for Futures Studies, 1994. (English)
54. "Is There a Conflict between Working Hours, Health and
Well-being?", Socialmedicinsk tidskrift, 2-3, 1995.
55. "Pregnancy and Work. Women's and Men's Opportunities for
Combining Production and Reproduction", Socialmedicinsk tidskrift,
56. "The Nineties Report. The New Force. A research project
on young people in the nineties", project description, Institute
for Futures Studies, 1995.
57. "Young Today - Adults Tomorrow, Different Generations'
Views on the Environment and Energy", Institute for Futures
58. "Value Patterns and Belief Systems among Young
Swedes, participatory research on environment and energy" (unpublished),
59. ”IT and the Future in the Cultural Sector”, SOU 1996:110, interim report. Special investigator: Bi Puranen, 1996.
60. ”Building the Future, an Evaluation of a Training Project for Unemployed Youth”. Bikupan, (unpublished) Stockholm, 1996.
61. ”The Nineties Report - Young People's Views on the Future, Part I: Environment and Energy”, Institute for Futures Studies, 1996.
62. ”The Nineties Report - Young People's Views on the Future, Part II:Young Peoples Views on the Future” (unpublished), 1997.
63. ”IT in the Service of Culture, final report on CultureNet Sweden”, SOU 1997:14. Special investigator: Bi Puranen, 1997.
64. "CultureNet Sweden, Summary of the investigation”, 1997. (English)
65. "Why Ask Young About the Future?" Framtider, no. 3, Institute for Futures Studies, 1997.
66. ”The Nineties Report - Young People's Views on the Future, Part III: Values and Cultural Changes among Young Swedes”, Institute for Futures Studies (unpublished), 1998.
67. ”Environment, Energy and the Future, Values and Beliefs Among Young People”, short printed summary, ISBN 91-630-6665-3,1998.
68. ”Environment, Energy and the Future, Values and Beliefs Among the Employed at Vattenfall Energy Company”, short printed summary, 1998
69. ”The Nineties Report - Young People's Views on the Future, Part IV: Mobility perceptivity and change”. Institute for Futures Studies. (unpublished), 1999.
70. ”Young Mobility –Possibilities and Risks”, short printed summary, Swedish Road Administration 2001.
71. ”Climate Change Socioeconomic dimensions and consequences of mitigation measures” (English), Helsinki 2001.
72. The Rentier State : Does rentierism hinder democracy? The Rentier Mentality Hypothesis Tested in Seven Middle East Countries, 2005.
73. ”The Core Values of the Swedish Armed Forces”, ISBN 91-975935-0-8, 2005.
74. ”Lifestyles and Mobility Patterns in Mölndal” (with Mölndals stad, Vägverket & Västra Götalandsregionen), 2006.
75. ”Lifestyles and Mobility Patterns in Mölndal”, (with Mölndalsstad, Vägverket & Västra Götalandsregionen), short printed summary, isbn 91-976231-0-5, 2006
76. ”Values as a Driving Force: Theory & Methods” (with Fredrik Nordenmark, Karina Wrobel & Daniel Ewerdahl), short printed summary, ISBN 91-975935-1-6, 2006.
77. ” Values as a Driving Force: The Culture Gap Between Military Culture and Civilian Reality” , (with Fredrik Nordenmark, Karina Wrobel & Daniel Ewerdahl), ISBN 91-975935-9-1
78. ”Values as a Driving Force: The Culture Gap Between Military Culture and Civilian Reality”, short printed summary, (with Fredrik Nordenmark, Karina Wrobel & Daniel Ewerdahl), ISBN 91-975935-2-4, 2006.
79. "Values as a Driving Force: Competence, knowledge and capability to change” (with Fredrik Nordenmark, Karina Wrobel & Daniel Ewerdahl), ISBN 91-975935-8-3, Stockholm 2007.
80. ”Values as a Driving Force: Competence, knowledge and capability to change”, short printed summary, (with Fredrik Nordenmark, Karina Wrobel & Daniel Ewerdahl), ISBN 91-975935-3-2.
81. ”Values as a Driving Force: the Headquarter – To build Trust in the Swedish Armed Forces”, (with Fredrik Nordenmark & Karina Wrobel, unpublished, 2008.
82. ”Values as a Driving Force: the Headquarter – To build Trust in the Swedish Armed Forces”, short printed summary, (with Fredrik Nordenmark & Karina Wrobel ISBN 978-91-976231-2-4, 2008.
83. ”Values Change the World”, (together with Ron Inglehart) short printed presentation of the World Values Survey”, ISBN 978-91-976231-3-1.
84. ”How Values Transform Military Culture: findings from a Longitudinal Values Study in the Military”, unpublished paper presented at World Values Survey, General Assembly, Istanbul, 2008-18-20. (English)
85. ”The Importance of Shared Values for a European Security Strategy” (with Fredrik Nordenmark & Karina Wrobel)
unpublished paper for EU-ISS (Institute for Security Strategies) Paris Oct 2-3rd 2008. (English).
86. ”L’importance de valeurs partagées pour une stratégie européenne de securité” unpublished, 2008 (French)